Party Affiliation

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

A registered voter desiring to affiliate with a party or change their party affiliation must file a Political Party Affiliation Declaration Form 55 days before an election. You can print and complete the Political Party Affiliation Declaration Form (see links below) and mail it to:

The Commissioner of Registration
640 S. Broad St
PO Box 8068
Trenton, NJ 08650.

The Commissioner of Registration cannot accept faxed copies or an electronic transmission of Party Affiliation Declaration Forms, since an original signature is required.

Special Notice to "Independent Voter"

As of January 1, 2006, voters previously declared "Independent" are, by law, now classified as "Unaffiliated."

  • Unaffiliated voters may declare their affiliation with a political party by filing a Declaration of Party Affiliation form, as described above. They may then vote in the primary election.
  • An Unaffiliated voter may, however, choose instead to declare affiliation with either the Democratic or Republican Party at the polling place on the day of the Primary Election.