Featured Internship Positions - Summer 2019
Below is a list of featured student internship positions for this year's summer internship program. These positions are not the only positions we have available this year, however, these positions do require specialized skills and abilities. Please read the job specs carefully before applying.
Environmental Education Internship
Baldpate Mountain Historic Hunt House Mercer County Park
28 Fiddlers Creek Road 197 Blackwell Road County Marina,South Post Road
Titusville, NJ 08560 Pennington, NJ 08534 West Windsor, NJ
The Park Commission’s Nature Camp Programs include Baldpate Nature Camp, Wild Discovery and Aquatic Adventure Camp. These camps encourage awareness and appreciation of the outdoors through various activities, lessons and experiences. At Baldpate Nature Camp, children explore the outdoors during hikes through the forest, hands-on experiments, and nature craft projects. Our Aquatic Adventure Camps blend environmental science with summer fun; campers explore the lake by boat, and activities such as fishing, becoming immersed in freshwater ecology. Intern will assist Naturalist Staff with preparation and clean-up of camp activities and materials as well as supervise and interact with campers ages 6-14 throughout the camp day. This is an excellent opportunity to gain valuable hands-on experience educating children in a non-formal setting while increasing environmental knowledge.
The intern will participate and assist in activities at summer camp that include but aren’t limited to:
- Leading group activities
- Preparing lesson materials
- Activity clean up
- Assisting children with various crafting and science projects
- Plant and animal identification
- Intern must be available to work Monday – Friday.
- Intern must be able to report to different county parks for the workday.
- Ability to work outdoors in variable weather conditions.
- Ability to hike trails through the forest with uneven terrain.
- Experience with children and/or leading a group.
- Experience in the outdoors and/or nature knowledge is preferred but not required.
Monday - Friday from 8 am to 4 pm. June 24 – August 16 mandatory. Additional weeks are optional.
Complete the Mercer County Student Internship Application: http://www.mercercounty.org/home/showdocument?id=11529 no later than April 1, 2019. Select Naturalist Division, Mercer County Park Commission for Department Interest.
Please visit the Mercer County Internship FAQ page for answers to the most common questions. For additional information, please contact Alejandra M. Silva at (609) 989-6676 or via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Mercer County is an EOE/AA/ADA Employer
Ecological Stewardship Internship
Mercer County Park Commission
Historic Hunt House
197 Blackwell Road
Pennington, NJ 08534
The stewardship efforts of the Naturalist Division of the Mercer County Park Commission aim to restore ecological integrity, protect natural resources, and develop environmental values within communities of Mercer County. We are looking for interns to assist in accomplishing these missions, primarily with the response to nonnative invasive species that threaten the valuable native habitat within our parks. This position will be largely field-based.
The primary project these interns will be responsible for is our ash tree inventory within parkland. However, additional activities include but aren’t limited to:
- Ash tree inventory using GPS unit along trails and high use areas in our parks, in response to Emerald Ash Borer damage and subsequent ash tree removal.
- Invasive plant species control by manual removal and application of herbicides (training will be provided).
- Native garden/restoration planting maintenance.
- Ecological monitoring including forest health study and surveying for plant species.
- Trail maintenance.
- Data entry.
- New Jersey native and nonnative invasive plant ID, or ability and willingness to learn species identification.
- Willingness to attend NJDEP’s basic pesticide training course and to use herbicides in a safe and selective manner.
- Ability to work outdoors in variable weather conditions, carry equipment and to hike through the forest with uneven terrain.
- Prior experience navigating using maps and/or GPS units is preferred, but not required.
- Willingness to interact positively with the public and represent the missions of the Mercer County Park Commission.
Reference: Ecological Stewardship Intern/Naturalist Division
Deadline: April 1, 2019.
Mercer County is an EOE/AA/ADA Employer