Charles Ellis, Warden
|Mail:||640 S. Broad St. Trenton, NJ 08650-0068|
|P.O. Box 8068|
The Mercer County Correction Center is located on Route 29 North (1750 River Road) in Hopewell Township. It is a short-term jail facility that confines men and women and has bed space for 871 inmates with Minimum, Medium and Maximum-security classifications.
The population comprises those who have been convicted and sentenced by the Municipal or Superior Courts, as well as those who are pretrial. State-sentenced inmates are housed while awaiting transfer to State Prison; inmates with sentences up to 364 days or less serve their time at the Correction Center.
Inmates are provided with medical, social services and mental health services, as well as educational opportunities during their incarceration. Selected inmates may be ordered by the court or assigned by the Correction Center, as a form of restitution, to participate in community service projects such as the Superintendent Labor Assistance Program (SLAP). Inmates classified as minimum security may work on supervised details mowing grass, trash collection and painting at county operated facilities, including the Correction Center building and grounds.
Consolidation Proposal for Mercer County Correction Center
On Sept. 11, 2019, the County Administration announced the results of a study that if implemented could potentially bring $12 million in relief to county taxpayers and preserves every represented officer position.
Law Library/ Library Services
It is the policy at the Correction Center to afford all inmates legal access to the courts. Upon written request, inmates may be scheduled to come to the Law Library to research and make phone contact to attorneys or other legal agencies. Inmates may also make written request for supplies to prepare legal correspondence.
Visiting the Correction Center
Upon admission each inmate completes a visitor’s list including name, address, telephone number and the visitor’s relationship to the inmate. Visitors are approved and subject to restrictions by the Warden when a visitor violates the facilities rules and regulations.
Visits are conducted in a screened visit area. Contact visits are not permitted. Special visits may be arranged and approved by the Warden or his/her designee.
General Visit Regulations
- Only two (2) visitors are permitted at any one time for screen visits. Screen Visits will have a time limit of up to 1 hour. Persons 17 years of age or younger (except spouse) must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.
- Former inmates of the Mercer County Correction Center will not be permitted to visit any inmate at the Correction Center for a period of one (1) year from release date.
- It is required that visitors carry identification cards. Some forms of acceptable IDs are: Drivers License, Welfare Card, Employment ID card, College or School ID, any State ID card, or Valid Passport. Lack of proper identification will be sufficient cause to refuse a visit.
- Visits are permitted throughout the week and weekend, with specific hours depending on the inmate's assigned Living Unit. Inmates should advise family and friends of his/her visiting day. Information can also be obtained from The Correction Center.
- Handbags, paper or plastic bags, baby chairs or children’s toys are not allowed in the visiting area.
- Food and drinks can be purchased from the vending machines in the visiting area.
- No smoking is permitted in the lobby or visiting areas.
- Visitors are not permitted to wear any of the following items in the visiting area: orange-colored clothing, sleeveless shirts, spandex, short shorts, mini-skirts, sheer clothing, low cut blouses, pajama pants, sweaters, coats, jackets, hats or scarves.
- All visitors will be subject to a pat-frisk search prior to entering the visit area.
- Once assigned a seat in the visiting area, there is no switching of seats.